What are the Behavioral Interview questions?
Our recommended questions are:
- What are the leader’s strengths?
- What are the leader’s areas to develop?
- Which environments bring out the best in the leader?
- Which environments bring out the worst in the leader?
- If you were this leader’s manager, coach, or mentor, what advice would you have for them?
These are great questions to ask, but you may wish to modify them. For example, Dr. Frank Wagner uses a shorter, more precise list:
- What are the leader’s top 3 strengths?
- What are the 3 most useful areas for this leader to improve?
- If the leader is going to change one behavior starting tomorrow, which behavior should they work on?
This makes the responses more close-ended (asking for a specific number of answers) and it gives the respondent the chance to highlight the most important behavior for that particular respondent.
The questions are designed to give you sufficient visibility of the leader’s strengths and improvement areas. If you can do this more efficiently with modified questions, then feel free to change them.